Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Veep Debate: Richard III meets Henry V

The thought of watching His Royal Evilness, the Power Behind the Throne, crouched behind a desk, spewing attacks and lies is too delicious to resist. I will watch, perhaps sometimes with my hands over my eyes, Lou Abbott style, in order to blunt the horror, the horror.

My theory is that Cheney insisted on a desk-style talk show format because he is not able to stand for more than 90 minutes. Actually I'm sure it was to blunt Edwards much more energetic and engaging personality. Look, John Edwards can walk around. John Edwards can smile. John Edwards is charming and charismatic. It's like Richard III vs. Henry V (Shakespeare versions, not historical).

Cheney has much to answer for:
  • Where are the WMD?
  • Where is the link between Iraq and al Queda? Why are willing to discuss that fully with minimal evidence, but not to address the links between Saudi Arabia and al Queda?
  • Who did you meet with on the energy advisory council? Why won't you release your notes? Why do you thwart a transparent government?
  • How come you did not listen to advisors in both budgeting money and troops to fund the Iraq war?
  • Where have all the flowers gone?

I'm sure I could spend more time on this, but I have to work today. As the lovely Elizabeth Edwards said in her blog, "Now if we could only get Mr. Cheney to debate for one and a half days rather than one and a half hours." May it be so. Keep him on the ropes, John Edwards, and remember you are doing God's work here.

No comments: