Monday, September 27, 2004

Thoughts on the New Year

With the weather finally turning crisp, Saturday felt like a High Holy Day.

This is the first year in many that I was able to attend a full day of Yom Kippur services, with a fast until about 7 pm. What an interesting experience - the light-headedness, crankiness and fatigue that set in by the end of the day, but combine that with the sense of self-denial, of solidarity with other Jews around the world, and if only superficially, of the hunger and deprivation that many experience around the world.

Early the next morning, I suited up in my "Run Against Bush" t-shirt and ran 7 miles (still my longest run distance). I felt great; strangely empowered and dedicated to my goal. I definitely received more strange looks on the path, and one woman shouted at as she ran in the other direction, "Love your shirt!" I lifted my head, shouted back, "Thank you!" and felt my step get a little extra spring in it.

We then went to Synagogue and I learned more about Sukkot in 2 hours than I had learned in my entire life. Next year, a sukkah!

I have also started on my much belated path to a Hebrew Bat Mitzvah, scheduled for summer 2005. Block off your calendars. I'm brushing up my aleph-bet and basic prayers now.

No comments: