Monday, September 20, 2004

Sopranos Put a Bullet in the West Wing's Head

All right! Finally, the best show on TV got an Emmy. OK, they got many Emmys. And not the lead actors this year (sorry Edie and Jimmy) - which is pretty shocking since they were both so good. But there were much-deserved awards for writing (Terence Winter, Long Term Parking), and acting (Michael Imperioli and Drea De Matteo, who tore up the small screen this year in "Long Term Parking").

Recognition also went to Angels in America - I think Jeffrey Wright was so good. I think I would like to have him over for coffee and thank him for just being so, well, good. Al Pacino was very Al-ish (over the top and annoying, but sort of hard to argue that he wasn't good) and Meryl Streep was best as Misguided Mormon Mom. But, Jeffrey Wright, you were really really really good. And I guess Kushner and Nichols deserved their Emmys too - without em, not much of a story or show.

Yes yes yes the Daily Show rocked and rolled over Dave, Jay and other stupid talk shows with really smart writing and just the bestest funniest on air talent.

And finally, finally, I completely blew off watching the Emmys this year. I not so fondly remember last year's Emmy telecast, when I groggily awakened in a puddle of drool after nearly 14 stultifying hours of boring speeches and clips. So this year, I just let the magic happen without me. And yes the show went on. And it just goes to show you, it doesn't really matter if I watch or not, because I would have been there, rooting for the Sopranos the whole time, hoping against hope that my rooting would affect the outcome. And lo! and behold! my presence in front of the TV was not needed.

Although the joy of seeing Drea, Michael and Jeffrey pick up their Emmys might have been worth waking up in a pile of drool. Oh well.

And I did miss seeing all those bony women in their fancy dresses. But I guess that's what US Weekly is for!

No comments: